Have you ever noticed that many men stop shaving in the month of November? Many men who are cleanly shaven all year long are suddenly growing mustaches and beards. Chances are, these people are like me, Michael W. Asimos, and they are taking part in either No Shave November or Movember. These are two separate charities with different missions. If you want to take part in the movement, you should first understand what each organization does. This will give you an idea of what movement to become a part of and what you need to do to get involved.
This mission of No-Shave November is to raise cancer awareness and to raise funds to support cancer prevention, education, and research. This is a non-profit, web-based organization. Many cancer patients lose their hair during their treatment. The goal of No-Shave November is to embrace the hair that you do have by letting it grow freely throughout the month of November. The money that you save on shaving and grooming products would be donated to the cause to help those battling cancer.
The rules of No-Shave November are simple. For 30 days, you should stop shaving completely. If your employer has a strict dress code, you are allowed to lightly trim. The money that you save would be donated. If you don’t think you can go a month without shaving, you can donate to someone who is taking part in the movement.
If you are planning to participate, you can create your own personal fundraising page at https://no-shave.org. All you need to do is register with No-Shave November and you can start raising money. You can even get together with friends and create a group fundraising page. After you have registered, you can let people know about your page through social media and encourage them to make a donation. The money that you earn during the month would be donated to:
• Prevent Cancer: A non-profit foundation that focuses on cancer prevention and early detection.
• Fight Colorectal Cancer: This is a group of activists who are committed to fighting this type of cancer until there is a cure.
• St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital: This is the leading children’s hospital for cancer treatment and all children are welcome regardless of their ability to pay.
On average, men die six years earlier than women do. In order to make a change and help men live longer, the Movember Foundation was created. On November 1st, men shave their faces completely. Throughout the entire month of November, they stop shaving completely. They allow their mustaches and beards to grow throughout the entire month. Movember is the only global charity in existence that focuses completely on men’s health. Since 2003, the movement has earned over $710 million worldwide. Also, they helped to fund 1,200 men’s programs over 21 countries.
There are plenty of ways that you can get involved. First, you need to sign up at Movember.com. After you sign up, you can start raising funds for the cause. You can advertise your mission on social media and encourage your friends to donate. If you don’t want to stop shaving or if you are a woman who cannot grow a beard but you still want to help, you can donate to another participant’s page. You can even organize events to raise money for the cause.
At the end of the month, the funds are distributed foundations that fund three key issues that men deal with including:
• Prostate cancer
• Testicular cancer
• Mental health and suicide prevention for men
How To Maintain Your Beard
If you are cleanly shaven all year, you are going to need to know how to grow your beard during the month of November. I am very active in both of the November beard movements and I swear by the Dollar Beard Club. This is a monthly subscription club where you would receive all of the items that you will need to grow a healthy beard and they are delivered right to your door. Setting up your subscription is very simple and it begins with choosing the items that you want.
• Oils: The first step in the subscription process is to choose your favorite beard oil. These are necessary to keep your beard from drying out.
• Balms and Waxes; The next step would be to choose your balm or wax. These products are loaded with vitamins and mineral that are necessary for your beard health and its growth.
• Shower Items: You would be able to choose from a shampoo or a body wash, which are specially formulated for your growing beard.
• Accelerators: To make your beard grow quickly, you would need to choose an accelerator. They offer sprays, oils, and vitamins. The one that you choose would be up to you.
• Accessories: The last choice that you need to make is the accessories. You can choose between beard combs, beard brushes, and hats.
Each month, you would customize your package and your beard products would be delivered right to your home. This is the best way to grow the healthy, long beard that you are going to need during the month of November.
No-Shave November and Movember are both great organizations. You can take part in one or in both, and help raise funds for some very worthy causes.